Monday, August 4, 2008

About life

This one is just to get the juices (creative or not - not yet sure). Since it is my first effort at trying to publish my writings, what topic could be better than everyday life.

As a soon to be mother currently on vacation I often have some time on my hands to wonder what life is all about ? What is it that the little one hopes to achieve with his / her life once s/he is born and more importantly, will s/he remember this life's mission ?

What was it I came here for ? I certainly don't seem to remember and only hope that I am on the right track so far. As a person (though i may not be qualified to speak for myself), I believe I am a good person. Professionally, I have always been confused about what I wanted so far.

Having started working almost immediately after college, there were many things I wanted to try my hand at but given the conventional background at home where the way of thinking encouraged us to find and keep a steady job, did not permit the pursuit of hobbies except reading - which I am always grateful - was nurtured from childhood.

However, as a friend once put it, it better to be content than to be happy (here we look at BEING HAPPY as the glass being half full), this way we always have something to look forward to. Something to add to the glass. And that is how I have been looking at life.

While we all are given limited time on earth, if we have things to look forward to and to pursue, - besides the growing up of our children and fulfillment of their dreams - like hobbies and personal childhood dreams we may have had, we can enjoy a much fuller life.

Am sure you would have come across people, even within your family, who feel that life has led them to a deadend as soon as they touch retirement age. With no professional life to look forward to or once the children have grown up and started their personal life projects - many a times excluding their parents, the road ahead seems lonely and listless.

If we look back upon our childhood and our youth from time to time, we WILL come across dreams we had which may now seem silly / childish or even unpursuable like learning to play a musical instrument or a new language or even being on radio. It would be worth the effort to give them a shot. You never know what you may achieve through them.

Besides the fact that you will be able to say you did follow up on them you will have had the opportunity to make new aquaintences and through them learn more ABOUT LIFE.

While all that goes on in our life as we go from one adventure to another from childhood to the moment of reckoning is something to consider, there are times - times when I am calm with nothing to preoccupy my mind - when I wonder about the ORIGINAL PURPOSE of my life.

I may be far from the answer or very close. All I know that the answer is simple and I am getting warm :-).

2 comments:

Vijit said...

Hi Sara,

Went through this post and I found something I could relate to.

, "If we look back upon our childhood and our youth from time to time, we WILL come across dreams we had which may now seem silly / childish or even unpursuable like learning to play a musical instrument or a new language or even being on radio. It would be worth the effort to give them a shot. You never know what you may achieve through them."

As a child I always wanted to learn some musical instrument. Either a flute or a violin or guitar. But getting educated was a priority and this dream of mine was put on the back burner. Now career takes priority. But I am sure someday I will surely find time to pursue my dreams and that day would be much sooner than later.

Vijit-friend and shishya of gayatri :-)

Sara said...

Hey Vijith,

Thank you for reading. Hope you soon find the time to pursue your dreams :-). All the very best !!